Welcome to 'Listen To The Sirens' a blog based site that aims to share some quality live Gary Numan recordings and Numan related artists. For a number of years I have run a similar site that is focused on The Stranglers (Aural Sculptors). This Numan based site, like the Stranglers one, is absolutely non-profit making. All recordings are shared freely for and by like minded fans. Similarly, no official material will appear on this site. Go and buy it/download it legitimately and support the artist.

Sunday, August 23, 2026

New Order City Hall Hull 16th August 1984

 


I never really got beyond 'Blue Monday' with New Order. The song is great and whenever I hear it I am propelled back to drunken nights in Brighton's Sister Rays nightclub. 'Blue Monday' at 8 minutes or however long it was was a bit of a marathon for the inebriated unfit! The other thing of course that I associate 'Blue Monday' with is the hilarious Top of the Pops appearance where the band broke with protocol and insisted on playing live, which in the end did little for their prestige but at the same time created some precious footage! Bernard Sumner was not quite the full ticket on the day for whatever the reason.

Later on I very much went further back and developed a strong liking for Joy Division.

The trials and tribulations of Joy Division/New Order are the stuff of legend, real tragicomic stuff.... Spinal Tap with synthesizers if you will! Each of the former members of Joy Division (Bernard Sumner, Peter Hook and Stephen Morris) have written about their time in the two bands and I would recommend them all if you enjoy a rock 'n' roll tale or two. Also recommended is Peter Hook's 'Hacienda: How Not To Run A Club'.

This is quite a nice recording of New Order, by this point re-established (post Joy Division) but not yet elevated to the arena status that would come in the next few years.







No comments:

Post a Comment